Fine Art and Artisan Jewellery. Inspired by nature. Fueled by Tea and Dark Chocolate.

Friday, January 16, 2009

Cabin Fever and My Favourite Winter Things

Another bitterly cold -40 celsius day, which means another day of being cooped up in my little house. I almost can't remember when I was last able to go outside, or get up the hill to my studio. I'm starting to go a little stir crazy!

So, before I start to feel too sorry for myself I thought I'd make a list of all the things I like about winter. Because I can no longer do my favourite winter things - cross-country skiing, snow-shoeing, photography, making snowmen - this took quite a bit of thought. I did manage to come up with a few things:

1. Watching the woodpeckers at the suet feeder on our porch. Downy, Hairy and Pileated woodpeckers are constant visitors throughout the winter months.
2. The morning sun shining on frost-covered trees and bushes.

After this I got a bit stuck, but eventually thought of

3. Snow angels. I've loved making snow angels ever since I was a child. I can't do it very often any more, but it is still one of my favourite things to do in winter
4. Animal tracks on a pristine snowy river or field.
And then I couldn't think of another thing. I know there are more things to like about winter, but the walls are closing in and I can't think of any!

I wish I had thought to bring a stash of art/jewellery making supplies to the house. If I can't do something creative soon, I think I will start climbing the walls! I have been using my time well, working on my website (which is not quite finished, but live - www.wabibrookstudio.com ) and some much needed marketing plans for 2009. After all this office work, I expect that once I can get up to my studio, the creative energy will be flowing in every direction!


No comments: